Turfgrass Management Minor
A Turfgrass Management minor is useful for students who expect to have positions that require: overseeing the management of grounds (for example public or private lawns, sports, or recreational areas, or golf courses (greens and fairways).
The Turfgrass Management minor consists of 14 hours selected as follows (at least 6 credits must be taken at the 3000 level or higher):
Required - 7 hours
|HCS 2201||Ecology of Managed Plant Systems||4|
|HCS 3470||Introduction to Turfgrass Management||3|
|HCS 3475||Turf Management for Golf Course Managers||3|
Electives - 7 hours
|HCS 2270||Historical Perspectives on Golf Course Design and Mgmt.||2|
|HCS 3370||Sports Turf Management||2|
|HCS 3488.01||Professional Development in Horticulture and Crop Science||1-3|
|HCS 4193||Indvidual Studies||1-3|
|HCS 4570*||Turfgrass Management and Science||3|
|HCS 5670||Golf Courses and their Environments||2|
|HCS 5890||Turfgrass Seminar||1|
* Requires BIO 1101, 1101E, 1113, 1113E, or 1113H as a prerequisite
Restrictions and General Information
- This minor is not available to students majoring in Sustainable Plant Systems.
- A minor should be declared by the time a student accumulates 60 hours.
- A minimum 2.00 cumulative point-hour ratio is required in the minor course work; and a minimum grade of a C- is required for each course used to complete the minor.
- A student is permitted to overlap up to 6 credit hours between the GE and the minor.
- The minor must contain a minimum of 12 credit hours distinct from the major and/or additional minors (i.e. if a minor requires more than 12 credit hours, a student is permitted to overlap those hours beyond 12 with the major or with another minor).
- The minor must include at least 6 hours of upper-level or upper-division course work (3000 or above).
- Course work graded Pass/Non-Pass cannot count in the minor, and no more than 3 credit hours of course work graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory may count toward the minor.
- No more than 3 credit hours of xx93 may count toward the minor.
- A student is permitted to count up to 6 total hours of transfer credit and/or credit by examination.